Overheard and Overseen in the Teachers’ Workroom
by Mark Lyons
Image by Steve Buissinne from Pixabay
SammySocks Etc. Blog - Comments and Observations from Someone Who Is a Retired Educator and the Father of Sammy (a Person with Autism). Visit us at www.sammysocksetc.com.
Forty-four years as a teacher is a long time. You see and hear a lot of things in the teachers’ workroom during the course of a school day. Here are just a few.
- Is this in my mailbox again?
- Oh, shoot! I forgot my copy number again!
- I stayed up all night watching To Sir, with Love, The Ron Clark Story, Mr. Holland’s Opus, The Blackboard Jungle, School of Rock, The Breakfast Club, Kindergarten Cop, National Lampoon’s Animal House, and Fast Times at Ridgemont High to get ready for my teacher evaluation. It didn’t help.
- I think I spent more time in meetings today than teaching.
- My car is older than my students’ parents.
- I can’t find my key, cell phone, or badge. Off to a great start! Ooh! A quarter!
- But I don’t know how to change the toner cartridge!
- I think I’m a little tipsy on the ditto machine fluid.
- Way! No way!
- Cool bell bottoms! (Remember, 44 years.)
- I’m pretty sure I know who shot J. R.
- What is that smell?
- Is that your cookie?
- Only 171 more days until summer!
- Is it Friday yet?
- Yeah, I think Universal Screening days are the best days of the year.
- You want me to do what, to who, when, where, and why?
- Wake up, Mark!
- I heard there was a Y2K party in Frances’ room after school. You want to crash it?
- Can I borrow a dollar for a soda?
- Uh, what was your copy code?
- I’ll give you $50 for a ream of paper! And I’ll do your morning duty for a month!
- Oooh! Pizza!
- It’s only 8:30?
- Is today payday? Please tell me today is payday!
- I think Disco is going to be around for a long time!
- A Star Wars sequel? I’m not seeing it. Now, Dune! Yeah!
- I just locked in a 5-year CD at my bank at 14% interest! I don’t think it’ll ever go down!
- I just signed next year’s contract! I’m almost at 5 figures!
- Oh, goody. It’s faculty meeting day.
- Is this stuff on the table free for the taking?
- Can you see if there’s anything in my mailbox please? It’s too high!
- Are you going to eat that?
- Only 5 more school days until the Labor Day holiday!
*** Visit our YouTube Channel (SammySocks Etc.) on YouTube to view some of the performed blog posts from this blog as well as videos of Sammy and SammySocks Etc.