In-Service Training I Think I Had Over My Years as a Teacher
by Mark Lyons
Image by Steve Buissinne from Pixabay
SammySocks Etc. Blog - Comments and Observations from Someone Who Is a Retired Educator and the Father of Sammy (a Person with Autism). Visit us at www.sammysocksetc.com.
Ah, I sometimes long for the times as a teacher when we had in-service days. Often these days were held during the summer. Other times they were held at the beginning of the school year before the students arrived on campus. Some in-service sessions were also held during the school year providing a bit of a break from the regular school day. Many of these in-service days consisted of training required by the district and/or state. We also were able to take some in-service sessions to improve specific areas of our craft. Most were beneficial. Some not so much. Here are a few of the in-service sessions I participated in over the years I was a teacher. Please bear in mind that I was a teacher for 44 years so some of these may seem outdated. Anyway, here we go.
- (1975) How to Get Half of Next Week’s Lesson Plans Done During a Fire Drill
- (1976) Chisanbop – Is It Math or Something Else? (Google it!)
- 1977) The Overhead Transparency Machine – Have We Finally Reached the Peak of Technology?
- (1978) Math: Is 2 + 2 Really 4 Anymore?
- (1979) How to Get That Blue Ditto Ink Off Your Hands, Clothes, and the Floor
- (1980) The Aluminum Telescoping Pointer Versus the Single Length, Wooden Pointer with the Bullet Shaped Tip: Pros & Cons
- (1981) 101 Things You Can Do in a Sky Blue Leisure Suit
- (1982) Transformational Grammar – Say What?
- (1987) The Laser Disc – It’s Gonna Be Here a Long Time!
- (1989) Classroom Crock Pot Meals That You Can Make From Language Arts Through to Specials and All the Way to Your Lunch Time!
- (1990) How to Maximize Faculty Meetings to Cut Out the Most Laminating Pieces
- (1993) The Best Ways to Count Down to Summer and When to Start
- (1995) What You Can Wear with Staff T-Shirts and Still Look Good
- (1997) The Best Background Music You Can Play in the Classroom
- (2000) How to Wolf Down Your Lunch in 10 Minutes or Less During Your Half an Hour Lunch Time
- (2002) Is it TĒKS or TĔKS? Let’s Dig into the Greek and Latin!
- (2006) The Best Places to Eat Around Here at Lunch
- (2007) How to Soup Up Your Teacher Chair for Those Unsanctioned Teacher Chair Races at Your School
- (2009) How to Duck Out of…… I Mean, How to Get the Most Out of Your School’s Faculty Meetings
- (2011) How to Do Your Taxes, Pay Your Bills, Fold Your Laundry, and Get Your Windshield Repaired All During Your Planning Time
- (2012) How to Mooch Off of Your Fellow Grade Level Team Members and Get More Copies from Your School’s Copy Machine
- (2013) How to Stretch Your Teacher’s Salary by Sleeping on That Couch in Your Classroom and Saying You Are Always Working Late and/or Getting Ready for the Next Faculty Meeting
- (2015) How to Read Your School’s Universal Screening Schedule – A Three Day Course
- (2015) Is it Porsche or Porshuh?
- (2016) The OLSAT – What Is It and Why Do We Have to Give It Again?
- (2017) Why Can’t the Texas Longhorns Ever Hire a National Title Winning Football Coach?
- (2018) If Your Teaching Career Doesn’t Pan Out, You Can Always Make It in a Boy Band
- (2019) Ten Sure Fire Ways to Get Your Attendance in by 9:00 am and How to Not Take the Fall If You Don’t
- (2020) How to Avoid Volunteering for All Those Committee Assignments but Still Look Busy
- (2020) How to Get Other Teachers to Grade All of Your Students’ Papers
*** Visit our YouTube Channel (SammySocks Etc.) on YouTube to view some of the performed blog posts from this blog as well as videos of Sammy and SammySocks Etc.